GravBlocks was the inaugural title developed by From Nothing Game Studios. This “simple” match-three puzzle game was intended to get FNG Studios started and organized so that future endeavors could be better understood and designed.
However, we didn’t treat GravBlocks as just some experiment or task to prove ourselves. We were determined to create a truly unique title and experience among puzzle games rather than just copying popular titles like Bejeweled or Candy Crush, we charged forward with a completely original design that allowed us to create challenges, puzzles, and gameplay not found anywhere else.
GravBlocks is both a falling-block puzzle game (like Tetris) and a match-three puzzle game (like Pokemon Puzzle League, Bejeweled), but is also drastically different than either of those titles. The most unique aspect of GravBlocks is the aptly named Gravity Blocks. Aligning three of these blocks facing the same direction will alter gravity to that direction. So if you align three “left arrow” Gravity Blocks, then the gravity will shift to the left side of the screen, and the left wall now becomes the floor, with the opposite wall being the new ceiling where blocks drop in.
In the most basic aspect of the game (and also the original gameplay mode), players change gravity in order to build score multipliers, but must do it carefully! The walls contain hazards, and the higher the difficulty level and the longer the player plays, the more Destruction Hazards there will be to contend with! Dropping blocks into these Hazards resets the score Multiplier.
In order to survive this ordeal, players use Wild Blocks to temporarily close all the Hazards (for about 12 seconds) so that they can change gravity safely. There are also Bomb Blocks which will destroy all of one (or more, if you’re really clever) block type onscreen at once.
Release Date: December 15, 2015
Genre: Puzzle (Match-Three)
Platform: Steam (Windows – Linux – Mac)
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Mild Language)
Store page: GravBlocks
In September 2015, GravBlocks passed Steam Greenlight. The version of GravBlocks for Steam has more in common with the Wii U GravBlocks+ than the original Android game, but retains the same name. Some streamlining has occurred.
With this simple concept, GravBlocks for Android has five gameplay modes:
- Story — New for Steam, the Story Mode has been streamlined and reconfigured for faster and more engaging gameplay.
- Puzzle — 150 puzzle levels. Some reconfigured, and with solution packs offered in the Steam store.
Other features of GravBlocks for Steam:
- 8 Block styles
- Including new Cat blocks replacing the Smiley blocks of the previous versions.
- 15 backgrounds.
- Over a dozen unlockables.
Steam Community Items:
- These are newly added items for the Steam release!
- Steam version made for Windows, Linux, and Mac.
- Playable with Mouse, Keyboard, and Xbox 360 controllers.
- 80 Achievements.
- 11 Steam Cards.
- 6 Steam Badges, including 1 Foil Badge.
- 5 Steam Wallpapers.
- 10 Steam Emoticons.
Android Phone/Tablet Version
Release Date: October 1, 2012
Genre: Puzzle (Match-Three)
Platform: Android Phones and Tablets
ESRB Rating: E
With this simple concept, GravBlocks for Android has four gameplay modes:
- Challenge — Classic-style puzzle game, blocks fall in, and players play for a high score.
- Destruction — The opposite of Challenge, here players are challenged to destroy blocks and clearing the screen. In this mode, Wild blocks open a whole wall of Destruction Hazards.
- Zen — Like Challenge, but the difficulty never increases.
- Puzzle — 100 levels where players are given a set of blocks that must be cleared with only a few moves–the first 40 are cleared with only one move!
Other GravBlocks features:
- Four different block graphics to choose from.
- 10 backgrounds.
- 60 Achievements.
Original trailer for the Android version:
View the GravBlocks gallery by clicking here.
View the GravBlocks for Steam gallery by clicking here.
GravBlocks at MobyGames.
Where to get it!
Find GravBlocks, which is ad-free, at Google Play for Android, and the Steam store for PC.